7/25/2004

Slot machining has a certain charm. I am reminded of Dostoevsky's The Gambler as I attempt to descend (elevate?) into the unthinking. Is this the new meditation - with coins in hand, a circular, never-ending machine...like feeding a never-satisfied dog.

What else would one do on a beautiful Sunday afternoon in Kyoto, ancient holy city? Fortunately the judgment of the protestant work ethic is absent (more accurately leisure as work/productive ethic) --replaced by something quite different- haven't quite figured it, but something that embraces the nothing time, the pointless- as necessary. It is, it is---a meditation, a focus point beyond the regime.

The appeal of moving massive numbers of coins - they're even the same weight as the real thing provides an illusion, the physical sensation of wealth. I attempt to gamble as an Aristocrat- The Gambler my reference point. Beyond my thinking I am unexpectedly immersed, focused within this other world of usually maddening noise ....becoming music that rises and falls with my fortunes.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home